Sam Bradford College Bio
In 2006, Oklahoma's starting quarterback Rhett Bomar, then a sophomore, was kicked off the team for violating NCAA rules. Paul Thompson, a senior quarterback-turned-wide receiver, converted back to quarterback and led the 2006 Oklahoma Sooners football team to win the Big 12 Championship Game. His departure left a void at the quarterback position at Oklahoma. That void would be filled by either true freshman Keith Nichol, redshirt freshman Sam Bradford, or junior Joey Halzle (the only one with game experience). On 2007-08-21, Sam Bradford was named the starting quarterback for the 2007 Oklahoma Sooners football team.
In his first game for the Oklahoma Sooners on 2007-09-01 against the University of North Texas, Sam Bradford completed 21 of 23 attempts for 363 yards and three touchdowns in just little over 2 quarters, breaking the school record for passing yards in a half with 350. The very next game, Sam Bradford broke Heisman Trophy winner Jason White's school record for most consecutive pass completions with 22 (18 came in the first half and four at the start of the second).
Sam Bradford Awards and Recognition
- Honors included freshman All-American from The Sporting News, Rivals and CollegeFootballNews.com, CollegeFootballNews.com's Big 12 Player of the Year, Sports Illustrated All-America honorable mention, The Sporting News Freshman of the Year, The Sporting News All-Big 12 Freshman, Academic All-Big 12 and honorable mention All-Big 12 by coaches and AP
- Sam Bradford was a finalist for the Manning Award as the nation's top quarterback.
- Sam Bradford set NCAA freshman record for touchdown passes in a season with 36.
- Sam Bradford led the nation with passing efficiency rating of 176.53 ahead of second-place Tim Tebow, the Heisman winner
- Sam Bradford completed 22 straight passes (last 18 versus North Texas and first four against Miami), setting an OU record and falling just two shy of the NCAA mark.
Sam Bradford had another string of 2.
- Sam Bradford tied a school record with five TD passes in wins over Miami and Texas A&M
- Sam Bradford threw multiple touchdown passes in 11 of 14 games.
- Sam Bradford had the No. 6 season at OU for completions, No. 5 in total offense, No. 2 for completion percentage, No. 1 for passing efficiency.
Sam Bradford Bio in High School
Sam Bradford named to the Oklahoma Coaches Association All-State Team. Sam Bradford was second team all-state pick by The Oklahoman. Sam Bradford threw for 2,422 yards and 19 touchdowns as a senior. Sam Bradford rated the No. 17 quarterback in the nation by both CollegeFootballNews.com and Scout.com. Sam Bradford earned all-city honors as a junior. Sam Bradford a standout basketball player. Sam Bradford averaged 18.4 points and 10.5 rebounds as a senior for the Panthers.